September 19: Sweet reunions

Today was amazing because our family was re-united after our vacation with only a sub-set of our kids.

Highlights of the Morning and Commute:

  • Both Hubby and I shower and get ready very quickly this AM because we both want to see Twin Husky and Twin Crazy together.   We were not able to see them last night when we returned from vacation – it was too late and it was past their bedtime.  So this morning is our reunion.
  • We are a bit disappointed when we find out that Big Bro and Red stole our thunder…. they are already in the Twins’ room playing and carrying on – the Twins are squealing with delight at them.  It seems like they have forgotten about me and Hubby altogether but then Twin Crazy clues in and gets very excited to see us – all smiles.  Twin Husky is a bit subdued – it turns out he is feverish (poor guy).
  • The morning was fun – I am having a great time with the kids, taking it slow since I will work from home today.   This means a more leisurely pace in the AM.   More time to connect with each of the kids.   They are all eating together at the kitchen table and honestly seem so happy to be all together again.
  • I organize clothes for Big Bro and Red; I help Big Bro with finding directions for his new Transformer toy; I kiss the Twins’ bellies during their diaper changes.   It is a wonderful morning – kids are cooperating.
  • Big Bro is a bit feverish so I give him some medicine; I plan to pick him up after Kindergarten and before after-care so he can get more rest.
  • OK time to go!   All kids run to garage; big kids are in their seats and buckled in; Twins are cooperating with shoes and getting into their seats easily.
  • 1st drop off:  Twins.   Twin Husky bursts into tears and he does not want to be separated from us.   😦
  • 2nd drop off:   Big Bro.  Hubby runs him in while I wait in the car with Red.
  • 3rd drop off:  Hubby at Ferry terminal.
  • 4th drop off:  Red.   I stay with her for a bit but she has a hard time saying goodbye.  She is in tears and I have to pry my arm away from her.   😦
  • I head home to start my working day.   First I make a huge pot of coffee and then start some laundry.  I call my mom to check in.  I eat the kids leftover breakfasts.  I organize my work and computer – I’m ready to begin my workday.
Highlights of my Working Day:
  • Anytime I return from a vacation I have to plow through a lot of emails; however this time was unforgiving since my predecessor has left the company and I am now taking over her role.  I did not realize all the communications she has managed.  We have two forums coming up VERY soon and there is a lot of communication going on in all directions over that (now all sent to me).  We have another two forums next month which I’m also getting emails on.  Finally, there are several forums in development so I’m involved in all of that too.   There are a slew of emails as well from my predecessor so that I have everything I need.   The problem is that I feel a bit overwhelmed.    I know that it is just a matter of organizing everything and figuring out what needs to be done with each forum, but coming back to all of this on the first day back is a bit frightening…. so I dive in.
  • I spent several hours going through the email box and figuring out which items are “FYI” versus those that I needed to act upon.   I then slowly tried to address the items one by one.   I was going slowly…. kind of like learning how to ride a bike.   It is easy once you have the system down but getting used to it takes some time and you fumble a bit… that was me today, fumbling around a bit unorganized.
  • I put in more laundry when I need a break.
  • I pick up Big Bro from Kindergarten at 1:30; he watches movies and plays with games on my iPad while I continue to work/sludge through emails.
  • I update go to market activities for two newer forums – and prepare for a conference call that I will need to lead for tomorrow.
  • I review contracts from the consultancy we partnered with last month – it seems like we are formalizing our working relationship with one another.
  • I think about dinner and start the prep before picking up any kids; I defrost some meat, organize a pot with water for a side pasta, and get other items ready and cleaned up before the rest of the kids get here.
  • OK – time to get the rest of them!   Big Bro is excited to get them too.
Dinner and Bedtime:
  • Red is leaping with joy and all smiles when we pick her up.  She loves her pre-school.  I am so happy for her.  Everyone was asking about our vacation and they mentioned that she was talking about swimming A LOT during the day.
  • Twins are happy to see us but poor Twin Husky looks miserable.  He is sick.  He is also asking for Daddy and walks right past me!!!
  • During dinner prep the kids are all playing with each other – Twin Husky tends to wander off by himself since he’s a bit out of it.   They generally though are laughing and playing and reconnecting.   Twin Crazy is squealing and laughing with her older siblings.
  • There are some tears from the Twins when they hear words like “Daddy” and also “bath”.   They repeat these words very clearly and cry — expressing their desires.   They are such little people and I am so proud of them!!
  • All eat well.   All food is consumed and there is nothing left.   Twins are very talkative.  Twin Crazy:  “I did it” as she uses her fork.   Twin Husky:  “Spoon” when he gives up on his fork.   How much they’ve changed in the 6 days we’ve been away!!!
  • Hubby comes home and now we are all together
  • We play and laugh and hug a bit; but the kids seem tired (especially Big Bro and Twin Husky)
  • I give them medicine; Big Bro runs right upstairs to bed and is the first to pass out.  Twins are next; they are eager for sleep.  Red is last, very spunky and sassy.   We whisper in her room so as not to wake up Big Bro.
So all kids were down by 7:45 PM tonight; I feel bad that both my boys are sick.  I will probably work from home again tomorrow if either of them needs medicine in the middle of the night or are feverish in the AM.   It is on days like this when I love the flexibility of my job.
I had a wonderful day today.   I had a leisurely morning, was able to spend extra time with Big Bro, started my new responsibilities at work, and orchestrated all kids by myself at the end of the day including dinner prep.  The kids seemed VERY happy despite being sick and it just feels so good to be back together again.    I can definitely feel a difference in my stress and happiness levels on days when I am able to work from home; I need to build this into my new job description more formally over the next several weeks.
Gotta go and relax now with Hubby.
Till tomorrow –
– Mama K

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: