Amazing day. Amazing. Filled with kids’ laughter, my chores, kid interaction, and yes some fighting and challenges along the way.
I actually had an outing in mind, but decided not to do that since I still did not get a proper answer from Big Bro about the haircut. [Note: I found hair pieces under his desk in his makeshift "trashcan" so it really is incredible. Either he DID cut Red's hair, or someone else did and he just threw the pieces away. I don't know what really happened. Still.]
So I didn’t want to treat them to a “trip” that I had planned. We stayed at home. So what happened during the day?
- Woke up to Red, Twin Crazy, Twin Husky in my room. Twin Husky now visually can recognize the numbers and he said that it was time for me to get up since there was an “8″. He was correct. 8:03. Time for me to get up.
- I made them a pancake breakfast
- Afterwards kids had pillow play in the living room. Kids covering bodies with pillows. Hide and seek. Playfulness.
- We got dressed; I did manicures and cut nails on the front porch
- I did TONS of laundry. With sheets and blankets and such I think about 6 loads in total. The kids, in turns, helped to either change loads or help sort.
- Girls played Legos together
- We all had office time together. I did a bit of work, rearranging meetings and setting meetings up for next week. Kids were drawing. Red was practicing her letters. I played “African Playground” kids music and started dancing. Twin Crazy danced with me and cackled she was having so much fun.
- Snacktime: Yogurt bar. I had 3 different kinds of yogurts for the kids to pick from. I had 6 bananas at the beginning of the event and zero bananas at the end. I CANNOT BELIEVE HOW MUCH THESE KIDS EAT
- We did some gardening; Twin Husky helped me to water our fruit trees and plants
- We spent time outside but I’m not sure doing what. I think we picked weeds and fed the chickens several times
- Lunch: build-your-own burrito bar. The kids ate well. Twin Crazy ate I think an entire can of black beans by herself. My stomach hurt just watching her go.
- Twin naptime. They actually had a great nap today. A proper nap. During their nap Red and Big Bro did an outdoor finger painting project.
- I vacuumed the entire house, and the couch. My days with this vacuum may be limited so I wanted to make good use of it. All cobwebs are now gone. The house just breathes better. Or maybe its my imagination.
- During the couch vacuum kids of course had more cushion/pillow play.
- Snacktime: smoothies. We had frozen bananas, fresh strawberries, left over peach slices from yesterday, and a handful of leftover carrots from lunch. They loved it.
- Kids had outside playtime – sidewalk chalk and bubbles; while I did some weeding and also cleaning up twig and branch debris from the yard. I filled up a garbage bin. I then also started to dis-assemble the long box of blinds that has been blocking the kitchen floor for weeks. I guess putting up the blinds is my next project for the weekend. During outside play time Big Bro had some issues with siblings so he was banished to his room for quiet time. I brought him his Star Wars book that he loves and also suggested that he play with Legos. That’s when he dumped them on the floor. I demanded that he pick them up before coming outside to join us. He stayed back there for quite awhile but then finally cleaned up, I think when he heard the commotion going on in the living room that he wanted to take part of….
- Kids jumped on bubble wrap from said packaging of blinds.
- Then it was time to go. I packed them up and all seemed quite happy. There was no whining about the drive and I told everyone that I had such a good time with them today.
- After I dropped them off I headed over to a neighbor’s house and picked up some things she left for me
- Once at home, I sat on the couch with the directions for the blinds and totally fell asleep.
- Now I’m here, wrapping up the day and getting ready for bed.
I loved today. For so many reasons. It was a carefree day with just me and the kids. We sortof just carried the day away. No real plans except for feedings and nap time. But everything in-between was just unplanned. And the kids were kind of doing their own thing while I was also doing my own thing but then our worlds would intertwine throughout the day. It was a day where I heard a lot of laughter. And at times I just stood there, listening, and laughing to myself. The kids really enjoyed this time today with each other. They were all playing with each other, and even Twin Husky was largely accepted in the day’s play.
I feel like I had really good one-on-one time with each child at some point during the day. I was able to connect with each one separately – either dancing, or talking about my owie (I got a bad finger cut today), or talking about the mysterious haircut…. I gave lots of hugs and kisses and look in your eyes smiles today.
I didn’t have a care in the world. I was feeling like a mom with my kids and we were enjoying a summer day without interruption. The only thing missing I suppose was a home cooked dinner. But I can’t complain about that.
I feel fortunate for having this day with them. And feel really full inside.
Have a great weekend everybody!
- Mama K