Today was a full, great day… we did A LOT and also had some mishaps along the way. My daughter looks trendier than I (not really that hard to do) because of this awesome haircut that one of her siblings gave her… but she keeps changing her story to protect their identity.
Highlights of the Morning:
- I woke up to Twin Crazy, and then Red, and then Twin Husky… he is so sweet. He climbs in smiling and cuddling and quiet.
- Red wanted to “do something with me”. Your kidding me. I haven’t even been out of bed and my bladder is ready to burst and my breath stinks. Plus I’m half asleep. I suggested drawing/coloring something together and that worked. She wanted a princess, prince, and castle. She helped me draw it and then colored some of it in.
- The kids talked me into making Thursdays “chocolate day” at mommy’s house. I suggested Sundays, but Big Bro was violently against that since he likes the pancake routine on Sundays. I suggested Friday, and he said that movie night is Friday night and that Thursday has nothing special. This little guy should be a lawyer when he grows up. The art of negotiation. He can argue anything with sound logic. Very persuasive. So I broke out the Nutella and the kids went nuts.
- I was getting the kids ready and in between one of the children changes Twin Crazy decided to give herself a haircut. No, this is NOT the haircut that I referred to in the title of this post… it was just a few strands but still. I couldn’t believe it. So I took the kid scissors out of the office since the little ones “do not know how to properly use them yet”
- The ride to their daycare was fine. We talked about some funny things but I can’t remember what. We talked about a food shopping list, and also played a spelling game.
- On the way in we drove by a field that used to have wild rabbits but now is infested with moles. They are so cute (when they are not in YOUR yard). We saw so many… standing up, running, scurrying, jumping into the ground. I stopped for a bit, and also drove very slowly down the side street so we could look at them.
- Big Bro did not want to be dropped off with the siblings around. So I left them in the front office of the daycare center so Big Bro could have his privacy.
- Red’s drop off was great. She knew I was going to pick her up early and was all smiles.
- Twin Crazy and Twin Husky drank some water and Twin Crazy went to the potty. And then we hit the road for our errands.
- I had a work conference call so got to a playground just in time for me to take that call. The kids were great – playing on the play structure, little tiny merry-go-round, playing in the sand. I had a great call.
- Afterwards we went food shopping. They were in a “car cart” and they had a blast. We did our shopping quickly.
- We picked up the older siblings, got gas, and then headed home. I had another conference call while on the road – this was a big “sell” meeting for a new member to the “established” forum that I manage. This was a BIG win for me. It was awesome. I felt great. Here I have four kids in a car (the majority of them sleeping) and am able to also land a deal. On my day off. And headed home to play with the kids. It was great.
The Rest of the Day:
- Big Bro, Red and I went “hunting” for several spiders in the house. I have to remember to close the screen door and front door in this place. We have lots of cobwebs in here and I’m not a fan of bugs in general. The kids examined the spider in the “bug vacuum” which was cute.
- It was hot outside. WATER PLAY!
- That is when I noticed that there was a lock of red hair floating in the pool. And it had a curl in it. So I asked about this hair. And I looked at Red’s head. And couldn’t believe what I saw. The back of her head is cut really short, but the sides are long and curly. It almost looks cute, like it’s supposed to be like that…. but still… how did it get this way???? She kept changing her story. Big Bro…. Twin Crazy… .then everything always gets blamed on Twin Husky. I have no idea what to believe but I do not believe her. And she is protecting her sibling. Most likely an OLDER sibling. Most likely the sibling who could get to scissors on his own since everything was taken away earlier in the day. I asked where the missing hair was. She said in the backyard. Yes, she was right. Various locks of red curls. In my dead grass. I was pissed, to say the least.
- This put a damper on my mood. I kept the older kids inside and let the younger ones play outside. The older kids said they wished they were at daddy’s. I wished they were too at that very moment.
- We ate an amazing dinner and they all ate like champs. I love how they know to expect vegetables and tonight we had sweet potatoes, cucumbers, and fresh broccoli. Along with chicken and rice. Lots of fruit for dessert. My belly is still full.
- After dinner I boycotted Big Bro’s request for a movie. We went outside, I picked some weeds while talking to my mom, there were several kid breakdowns over shoes.
- Big Bro and Red broke out the sidewalk chalk and that gave them all something to do while I cleaned up from dinner and also swept the outside. It felt sooooooooo good to be doing that. Sweeping in the evening after dinner while the kids were right there with me playing on their own, together. I loved it. I fed my compost bin and commented on the chalk “dust” that they were busy making.
- Bedtime was fine.
- After the kids went to bed I had some more work to do, following up and sending information to the folks I had on the calls today.
My day was really busy and extremely diverse. Hunting for moles and spiders — two different haircuts — playground — shopping — driving and working and making money for the company — being tricked by the kids and witnessing fierce protection between them — and enjoying a suburban summer evening with the kids and the crickets.
I’m feeling really good now. I loved today. And the crickets are singing loud right now and I feel so happy to hear their song.
Til tomorrow -
- Mama K